Thank you for your service!
Colorado Parks and Wildlife is proud to offer a free Disabled Veteran Lifetime Fishing and Small Game Hunting Combination License (VA combo license) for qualifying veterans. A free lifetime VA fishing license is also available.
VA combo license holders are exempt from purchasing a Habitat Stamp each year. The VA combo license will only be valid as long as the applicant maintains their Colorado residency.
How to Qualify for a VA Combo License
- Be a Colorado resident. To obtain the VA combo license, you must be a Colorado resident. “Resident” means a person who has lived in Colorado for at least six consecutive months immediately prior to the date of application, has a Colorado driver’s license or state ID and intends to make Colorado their permanent home.
- Provide proof of military service by providing one of two types of documentation:
Provide proof of hunter education if you were born after 1/1/1949. Any person born on or after January 1, 1949, is required to provide proof of having completed a hunter education course before applying for the VA combo license. Hunter education is not required for the fishing portion of the license; if you only wish to obtain the fishing portion of the license, please write the words “Fishing Only” in the "Hunter Education Number & State" field of the application.
- Provide proof of a service-connected disability with an overall combined rating of 60% or higher, as rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can obtain your rating documentation from the VA by calling 1-800-827-1000. Please keep in mind that the VA does not add the individual percentages of each condition to determine overall ratings.
- Provide documented proof of your Purple Heart award. A copy of your DD214 showing a Purple Heart award or Purple Heart Certificate will suffice. The Purple Heart Medal itself is not proof of the award.
What to include in Your Application Packet
Please Note: Without proper documentation, we will be unable to process your application. Please be sure to fill out the application card completely. Any missing information will delay the processing of your request and may result in a denial.
- Veteran's Lifetime Combination License Application (PDF)
- Proof of your disability rating or Purple Heart
- A copy of your Hunter Education certificate or card (if you were born after 1/1/1949). Hunter education is not required to obtain the fishing portion of the license; if you only wish to obtain the fishing portion of the license, please write the words “Fishing Only” in the "Hunter Education Number & State" field of the application.
Where to Send Your Application Packet
Applications can be submitted via email at email@example.com. They can also be submitted via mail or in person at:
Colorado Parks & Wildlife
Attn: Lifetime VA Program
Denver, CO, 80216
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take to receive my license?
Please allow at least 15 business days for verification and processing time. Less time is required for processing for applications submitted via email or in person.
Does the VA Combo License count as a qualifying license to apply for the big game draws?
Yes. The VA Combo License counts as a qualifying license and allows the license holder to apply for the draws. A Lifetime VA Fishing License will not be considered a qualifying license for the big game draws.
Do I need to apply for the Lifetime VA License each year?
No, once you have been approved for the program, your license is valid as long as you remain a resident of Colorado. The license does not need to be renewed each year, and can continue to be used as long as it is intact and readable.
Does my military service exempt me from the hunter education requirement?
No. Military personnel must still provide proof of having completed a hunter education course. Military personnel are able to test-out of hunter education; for more information on the test-out process, please visit our hunter education test-out options page.
Can the Apprentice Hunter Education certificate be used to meet the hunter education requirement?
No. Lifetime licenses come with a lifetime approval, therefore temporary hunter education certificates cannot be used to meet hunter education requirements for these licenses.
How were the qualifications for this program determined?
The rules for the Veterans Resident Lifetime License, including qualifying documentation, are set by Colorado Revised Statute 33-4-104 (3) (b) and Colorado Parks and Wildlife Regulation Chapter W-0, Article II, #002.Q.1.