Sign In


What is a State Wildlife Area?

State Wildlife Areas (SWAs) are state- or privately-owned lands that offer wildlife-related recreation to the public. While most activities focus on hunting and fishing, each SWA has different allowed activities, based on location and available resources. These parcels of SWA land are paid for by sportsmen and managed under state law by Colorado Parks and Wildlife employees for the benefit of wildlife. Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages about 350 SWA lands around the state. For more information, please see the Colorado State Recreation Lands brochure.

An SWA annual permit is required for anyone ages 18-64 if you wish to access one of the following state wildlife areas: Jumbo Reservoir, Lake DeWeese, Prewitt Reservoir or San Luis Lakes.

Permits are valid April 1–March 31 and available through CPW authorized sales agents, by phone (1-800-244-5613), or online.

NOTE: A valid annual hunting ​or annual fishing license will work in place of the SWA permit.

To purchase the permit online:

  1. Go to cpwshop licensing​
  2. Enter your age and resident or nonresident
  3. Click Go
  4. From the left navigation, select Other and the SWA Permit Annual will be at the top of the page.
Search results with selected criteria

Index Name Alert GMU Approx. Acreage County Filter(s)

Please type the GMU number you wish to search here :  
If you wish to search for more than 1 GMU, then please type all the GMU numbers separated by comma (,)

Please type the area name you wish to search for here (partial names ok) :  

Please wait....