Colorado Ice Fishing Tournaments
Reminder: All tournaments require a valid
Colorado Fishing License.
- Jan. 31 - First Annual Westcliffe Ice Fishing Tournament, Lake DeWeese. Go to http://www.thecliffscolorado.com/ for more information.
- Feb. 7 - Blue Mesa Reservoir- Tightline Outdoors presents the final round of the Ice Addiction Tournament Series with a $2,500 cash first place prize! No augers or ice huts allowed, all holes will be pre-drilled. Details and rules here: TightLine Outdoors.
- Feb. 7 - Delaney Buttes- the North Park Chamber of Commerce presents round two of the 2014 Ice Fishing Tournament series with a $1,000 grand prize! Details and rules here: Delaney Buttes Ice Fishing Tournament
- Feb. 7 - Island Lake on the Grand Mesa- the Cedaredge of Commerce presents a fun ice fishing tourney with cash prizes! Kids 17 and under are free, adult entry is $30 each. Details and rules here: Cedaredge Ice fishing tournament on Island Lake.
- Feb. 8 - Eleven Mile, the second leg of the 2014 Cabelas Colorado Classic Pro-AM Ice Fishing Tournament series, hosted by Eleven Mile Sports. The contest start and finish will take place at the North Boat Ramp of Eleven Mile State Park. The field consists of up to 150 two-man teams with each team allowed to weigh in a total of two trout for their total weight. More information at http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/pages/calendar.aspx?calid=1601.
- Feb. 13-14 - Silverthorne Pond Fishin Tournament, pre-register at http://www.icefishingcolorado.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1203808.
- Feb. 21 - Taryall- Chapparell General Store presents the Taryall Ice Fishing Tournament! Cash prizes for several trout categories. Details and rules here: Taryall Ice Fishing Tournament
- Feb. 21 - Lake City/Lake San Cristobol- First through third place prizes are available for the three biggest, live fish brought in to weigh-in. The tournament runs from 8:30-4:30. For more information contact Jerry Sharpe (970) 944-2484 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Feb. 28 - 3rd Annual Gunnison Ice Fishing Tournament at Elk Creek boat ramp, call Ryan Johnson at 970-209-6495 for more information.
- Feb. 21 - Wolford - More details at the chamber of commerce web site: Wolford Ice Fishing Tournament
For additional tournament dates and information, please visit the Fishing Events page and trying the following links:
Ice Safety Tips
At many higher elevations, ice has started to cover the reservoirs, rivers and ponds, attracting visitors to ice fish, ice skate, ice sail and enjoy other winter activities outdoors. The winter landscapes beckon and there is plenty of room to roam. To safely enjoy winter outdoor recreation adventures on the ice, Colorado Parks and Wildlife offers a few basic safety rules to follow.
Ice conditions vary, so always assume that ice conditions are unsafe that ice thickness varies from place to place. Four inches of ice will provide a margin of safety and is generally considered safe for ice fishing and ice skating. Snowmobiles and ATVs need at least five inches of ice thickness. The best advice is stay off the ice when there is any question about thickness and conditions.
For more information, see Ice Fishing Safety.
Gear up for Ice Fishing
Check out this Colorado Outdoors Magazine article by Colorado Parks and Wildlife DWM Brian Marsh for descriptions and photos of the essentials needed on your ice fishing trip.
CPW Fishing Videos
Ice Fishing - Yellow Perch
Ice Fishing - Granby Lake Trout
The Fishing Atlas provides a host of information, including driving directions, stocking details, and locations of the nearest license retailer. To view the Colorado Fishing Atlas,
click here, and the atlas will open in a separate window. Once the atlas is open, you can zoom in or out, or click on the location to display detailed information. Feel free to play around with the options on the far left of the atlas for other types of information and displays. Any questions or feedback are greatly appreciated. Contact us at email@example.com. Thanks, from the fishing report crew.