The 2018 Novice Hunter Program is open and accepting students
The Novice Hunter Program (NHP) supports new hunters (adults and youth), with detailed pheasant hunting knowledge, practical field experience, and quality instruction on a trap range. Upon completing NHP, hunters should have an understanding of common small game hunting skills and a solid knowledge base to expand their hunting skills.
Novice Hunter Program Eligibility Requirements:
- The Novice Hunter Program is a free event
- Completed Hunter Education within the last 3 years (since 1/1/2015)
- Adults and youth age 12 or older
- Self-described as a "Novice Hunter" - the NHP is designed to help new hunters with little access to hunting mentors
- Has not taken NHP in a previous year
Class and Field Instruction Details - Registration Required
Students must complete classroom instruction and a half-day field session to receive a NHP vehicle Walk-In Access (WIA) permit.
- Students must bring their Hunter Education card with them to class for verification
- Classroom instruction will cover pheasant biology, habitat, where to hunt, regulations, ethics, safety, gear, and field tactics
- Half-day field sessions will include a wing-shooting clinic and simulated hunt
- Students may borrow a shotgun for the field sessions and mentored hunts
- The WIA hunting vehicle access permits issued are for properties in Northeast Colorado
- Additional mentored hunts will be offered during the pheasant hunting season to students who request additional instruction